In light of the recent proposal by the Oakland A's to build a new stadium right next to Lake Merritt and Laney College, we're posting some resources and articles about the issue.
This project has CCNH and many other organizations concerned about how a very large, high-traffic stadium in the area would negatively impact communities, wildlife, and the gem of Oakland.
Learn more about the issue:
- New Ballpark Could Devastate Lake Merritt's Birds (EBX, Nov. 7, 2017)
- The Oakland Coliseum's Uncertain Future (EBX, Nov. 7, 2017)
- Prosperity or Displacement, Nov. 7, 2017 (EBX, Nov. 7, 2017)
- Oaklanders voice opinion about new A’s stadium at Peralta College meeting (Oakland North, Oct. 12, 2017)
- Laney Students and Staff Express Concerns About the A’s Ballpark Plans (EBX, Sept. 29, 2017)
- Lake Merritt wildlife at risk from A’s stadium plan (Golden Gate Audubon Society, Sept. 24, 2017)
- View from A’s new stadium: ‘A magnificent backdrop’ (Mercury News, Sept. 13, 2017)
- Opposition Emerges Right Off the Bat to A's Laney Ballpark Plans (EBX, Sept. 12, 2017)
- Coliseum Area Specific Plan ("Coliseum City") adopted in 2015 to develop the 800 acres where the A's currently are.
What you can do:
- Follow StAy The Right Way, a coalition of Chinatown and Eastlake residents, community organizations, small businesses, Laney community of students, staff and faculty, and environmental advocates who oppose the Peralta site for the new stadium mega development.
- Tell the Peralta Colleges what issues they should consider in the community engagement plan for the proposed construction of a new A's stadium by Lake Merritt.
- Sign the petition to oppose the stadium plan.
- Come to the Peralta Board of Trustees meeting on Dec. 12 to oppose the stadium.